I love mix CDs. Before I had my first iPod, I constantly made mix CDs. From the moment I got my license, I listened to my own brand of music. Unfortunately, my first car had a tape deck, and it was haunted by demons, so if you were lucky enough to ride around with me (you know who you are 😉 ) you heard the crazy sounds my tapes made.
I’ve since upgraded and discovered the wonders of bluetooth (believe it or not, I’ve had this car since 2008 and only last fall did I realize what bluetooth was), yeah. I know. Tech savvy me.
Before the iPod (2010 birthday), I made mix CDs galore.
I’ve made maybe 20 mix CDs since then, and most of them weren’t for me, but I did make playlists for myself. Tons of playlists.
Running playlists (I’ve had about 10 of those, but now I have my ultimate one)
Rap playlists (mostly for running—don’t judge, some decent rap artists that don’t talk about getting laid)
Break up playlists
Moving on playlists (these have helped a lot of my friends, and yes, I’m quite happy to make them happier)
Bad day playlists
Great day playlists
You get the idea!
This year, I started making playlists based on the month. At the end of the year, I’ll consolidate them into one 2014 playlist. I still make playlists based on emotion (Clear Your Head is my absolute favorite playlist I’ve ever created, and maybe I’ll share it but it’s mine mehhhh!), but only when a song jumps out and grabs my heart strings.
SO, I am incredibly smitten with this playlist I’ve been compiling since August, and I figured I’d share it.
The playlist is titled Pepsi, because of this funny meme someone sent me.
If you are taken with someone, and you’d like to let them know, but aren’t exactly the greatest at expressing your feelings, then you could make them a mix CD with these songs.
This is also provided that they share your (my) taste in music. These are all upbeat and convey how you (I) feel.
My stash of personal love songs (that abate a really loving, sweet feeling will not be shared, though. They’re slow and meaningful. I’m selfish on that playlist and it’ll only be shared when necessary—sorry!).
1. Saint Motel – Cold Cold Man: This is pretty self explanatory, and from the moment I heard this, I thought, “wow, this is me. I could’ve written this.” This is the sweetest, upbeat love song I have ever heard, and perhaps one of my favorites.
2. Saint Pepsi – Fiona Coyne: “I love you til the record stops.” Let’s hope the record never stops.
3. Crystal Fighters – Love Natural: This is what everyone wants, and if you don’t, well, something’s not quite right with ya.
4. Train – Wonder What You’re Doing For The Rest Of Your Life: Listen to me, Train comes out with a crazy good song every now and then. I was so so so so so so smitten with Hey, Soul Sister several years ago, because it meant a lot to me. When I first heard this song last month, I fell in love with it. I think I had this on repeat 30 times. Yes, I repeat stuff, because I have no limit. What’s that saying “tis better to be furious than uninvolved.” I live my life like that.
5. Miniature Tigers – Sex on the Regular: So yeah, this one is a bit vulgar, which is why I haven’t actually put this on a mix for anyone. God forbid someone listened to the words, and you know, maybe they get offended. But then, do you really want to be with someone like that? Ah, musings for another day.
6. The Preatures – Is This How You Feel?: I love her voice, and my favorite part is, “I’ve been walking in suburbia just looking for yaaa, baabby.” Yes, we all know that feeling, when someone seemingly drops out of the sky and you didn’t realize they were even missing from your life. Yeah, this song has hit the spot from the moment I heard it.
7. The Mowgli’s – Say it, Just Say it: This is kind of like the previous song, but it kind of has a negative connotation. This song means a lot to me. What can I say, I’m a sucker for some negativity in the positive.
8. Mat Kearney – Hey Mama: For your soul mate. No drama.
9. Klingande – Jubel: This is my all-time favorite song, and if someone didn’t know that, and put it on a mix for me, I’d probably cry of sheer surprise and happiness (in private later, but it’d mean a lot). I don’t think this is a love song, but for me, it encapsulates that feeling of utmost love and compassion you get in your chest for someone. It’s rare, but this song elicits it always. Maybe the receiver of this playlist will love it and fall all over themselves for you. I sure would.
10. The Lumineers – Ho Hey: Is this too serious? Is it overplayed? I’ve heard this over 100 times, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Maybe it’s not upbeat enough, so shoot me.
11. Hot Chocolate – You Sexy Thing: This is for comic relief—in case you spooked your lover with the lovely songs. Hopefully they laugh and don’t get a restraining order against you.